Thursday, September 22, 2005

tangent thoughts

In recently talking to one of my favorite creative geniuses, it came up that he reads this site periodically, and that 'it sounds like i've been on adventure after adventure.'

I got to thinking if that is how this webjournal comes off.

I talk about the tangible things I do b/c it's easier to have people understand the experience of being here (easier than trying to document my crazy mental paradigm shifts). And I've done some amazing things... broken out of my comfort zones so many times that the boundaries of 'comfort' have been redrawn, redefined...

I carried hundoes of water on my head. I cooked on an open fire, the flour I got milled in the next village over and the vegatables I had to walk 2 km to get. I washed my clothes by hand and lived on less money than many of the villagers themselves did. I slept under stars for most of the year; I also spent a night or two in the same room as an entire family and their cows, goats and rooster. But these are my adventures only because it is me doing it, and because it's different from what my everyday life looked like. This is not exotic for the people in my community. This is their life.

I imagine it would be like one of my Kutchi women coming to stay with me for a several months. She'd live with me, trying to fully immerse herself in my lifestyle. Then she would write to her people back home... something along the lines of "it is so exotic here. I rode in her blue honda accord to an actual gas station.... like the kind you see in those American movies. So crazy! Then I learned to fill the gas into the tank by myself! I slept with her traditional american music CD lulling us to sleep, with the calming hums of a fan on the ceiling and a pump that pushes air bubbles under water so fish can live in a small glass room. Then, we drove for twenty minutes to a store where they have *different flavors* of milk.... that is sold in *gallons!* Her family all lived in different rooms, some on different floors! They keep no animals and all of their food comes in boxes!" Our everydays are adventures to anyone who lives a different lifestyle.

When I get back home, I'm going to see if I can live my normal everydays like adventures.

I'm such a cheeseball. But we already established this long ago.


In other news:

1. I am coming home. Eventually. But I could definitely live here. There's an unparalleled beauty to this country. I think it might be something in the water. No worries tho. My ticket is confirmed. meeeeeeeeeeeeep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's with these ^^^^idiots^^^^ trying to sell things on other people personal sites...that's bs. anyways, that was a very well written update, and in other news i have posted up the pictures we took from india....http://community.webshots.com/user/vimz74
if you have time, and i'm usually up pretty late so i guess i'll talk to you later.

love you,
vimal

Maximusdodo-ness said...

To avoid spam, just go to the dashboard and go to settings, and use word verification. And no, this is not spam : ) But if this was spam, i didn't want you to think it is spam....wouldn't i tell you its not spam then..? HHMMMmmmmm....It sounds like not only are you breaking your "comfort zone", but your also finding tidbits of wisdom along the way....

rupal said...

thanks hardee.