Monday, August 14, 2006

Analog to Digital

Saw Anoushka Shankar and Karsh Kale perform at Millenium Park last night. Went because of my schoolgirl crush on Karsh, and was happily impressed by Anoushka Shankar's work.

My realization as I listened: my world is in visuals. I have musician/singer friends who notice sound and music and notes more than I do. For instance, I got into a conversation with a singer the other night, where I was talking about how I love when fireworks are set to music. He despises it because the composers align the visual fireworks, but don't account for the aftermath blast that you hear... which ruins his experience. To him, the audio symmetry is off, whereas my visuals are right in line. Along the same line, I have friends that are dancers, writers, investors, entreprenuers, academics... and each sees the world through their chosen medium (i.e. movement, words, money, ideas, systems etc).

Listening to her set last night, I discovered that when music (any kind) really and truly hits me- I can see it. Morphing images, colors, textures, movements, the elements, levels, overlays, fluidity and abrupt transitions, ... it's beautiful. Makes me understand why I find visual art easier than performance or writing. I create to share the things about the world that inspire me... and the world in my head is fundamentally in visuals. So when I perform or write, it's like translating my visuals into words or scenes or dialogue. Like making anything analog into a digital form. Which explains the inherent frustration: some of the details are always lost in translation.

------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, Vimz gets back from Europe on Wednesday. He flies out of London and with all the airport hoopla recently, I'm a bit nervous.... praying until he's safe at O'Hare.

Also, I'm moving back into the city. :)

No comments: