Friday, October 08, 2004

getting up to speed

This past two weeks have been a whirlwind of meeting people. Artisans, community development field workers, designers, NGO heads... all while getting up to speed on the history of this community, this region and this specific project. All in all, a busy time..... right now, we just jumped in here to get our absentee ballot procedures going. It's almost amusing how complicated the voting process can be. Let's all do a silent prayer that this year's election doesn't take the Floridian turn it was the last time around. Amen.

My info:
me c/o Manav Sadhna
Gandhi nu Gao, Post Khavda
Ludiya, Gujarat, India 370510
Ph:02803-266048
call ~ 8/9 pm india time

Some first impressions:
* The region is a bit harsh as far as physical living conditions. I was *super* dehydrated yesterday and felt like I was going to pass out. It's hot and dry.... right. It's the desert.
* I live about 60 km south of the IndoPak border, 60 km east of the Arabian seacoast and 60 km north of the closest internet cafes (I'm too close to the border... where internet connections are highly restricted and regulated.)
* It's an artistic paradise. Everyone creates something. It's such a great feeling to know I come from a place like this. I'm working with master craftswomen who do patchwork, mud relief sculpture, mirrorwork and world renowned embroidery. And the men are these amazing woodworkers. The area itself is insane. Block carvers, sculptors, tie dyers, block printers.... AAAAA!!! I love it! Apparently, international designers pull through the area all the time. I met an Australian fashion designer and stayed with a Brazilian last night. Crazy.

So, that's the typical Rups, highly romanticized version. The other side of the coin is that there's also a lot of tourism, village politics, mismanaged drought relief funds....

It's going to be one hell of a year.

No comments: