Thursday, September 30, 2004

What? Who lives in a hut?

Aaaaa!!!!! First off, much love to all of you guys. Random comments make me SO happy ... cuz it makes me remember that people still think of me. EEEEEEE!!!!!!

So, it's been many moons since an update and there is so much to say. ** I have officially moved into my new residence for the year. ** If I could post some pictures on this mofo I would. But since I can't (damn you, blogger surcharges!!), words will have to suffice. Ummmm... I live in the desert. the desert!! In two huts, each with a bathroom, a separate kitchen, all connected by an open air courtyard. If you could call anything a 'hut palace', this place would be it. There is plenty of room for both me and Rishi to stay here... (2 rooms, 2 bathrooms.. etc) but the community wouldn't accept that, with us being unmarried and all- so he lives in his own hut about 100 ft from me. I would've stayed there... but the teacher that lives on that side strikes me as a shady character....so I chose to keep distance and wanted to stay in the main office area b/c it has a fence. Rishi agreed and for that I thank him.

The situation is cool. Certain families have already chosen to adopt us as family. Really, really cool. The women are amazing. I came here to 'empower' them through self expression in their traditional arts.... ummm... right. I'm coming into realizing that it's crazy to think I'm empowering anyone who survives here. They carry the day's water on their head... raise an average of 5 to 9 kids... clean...cook... make and embroider their clothes.... make their blankets... the men do woodwork... raise animals.... everyone works in the fields if the year is one that brings rain.... um.... yeah. I'm too much in awe to see how I will be able to deliver on any sustainable empowerment/ community development strategies.

The award for absolute coolest part about living in India goes to: ... Sleeping outdoors. I drag my cot out into the courtyard every night...and sleep under the stars. I can't put it into words. There is little electricity so there is absolutely no interference btw me and the sky. Crazy. I've never seen anything like it. The first night I thought I had left a light on... only to realize it was the moon. The moon?!?!? The moonlight actually leaves a shadow, no joke. It's all good except the one time I woke up to rain in the middle of the night... completely soaked (me, my clothes, my sheets, my bed...). It's funny in retrospect, but definitely wasn't when I had to drag my stuff and my groggy self inside.... :)

I now have a house phone. Would pass out in happiness to hear from anyone that wants to call. I'm 10 & 1/2 hrs ahead of Chicago time... and the best time to call would be around 6-7am my time ... or in the afternoon. No answering machine... but patience is a virtue. (I'm such a punk).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey its -sudeep,nisha,vish,foram,and shivani-
we all miss u and love you. we're proud of wat ur doing and hope u learn lots of stuff... have a fun!!

KarmaRockOne said...

rupal rock one!
how's india goin?
you are goin be sooo surprised when you see everything i've been up too..
proud too i hope..
what's your email lady?
i got on this site here, blogger, cause of you!
so get at me, or email me!
xoxo.
vicki

Anonymous said...

hey-
it's me vimal
hope everything is going well, glad to see living in a hut is going well and that you and your friends are killing snakes...over here not much new, but i'm sure something will come up.
alright,
well keep on having fun and i'll see you soon!

your neighborhood brother,
vimal