Saturday, June 18, 2005

double take

Everyone up on this piece knows I got malaria, right? Got it *twice* in the first half of the year. That was lots of fun.
Then, 2 months ago, I broke a toe playing ultimate frisbee... which, apparently, wasn't good enough for me; we just went to an adventure retreat to Panchmari, MP, where I fall out of a mango tree and manage to break three toes (including rebreaking the original)! Gwah!!!!

This year is just too much. But, no worries. I am fine. :)

In other news, I just went rappelling off a cliff (yes, before, the tree fall). Scariest physical thing I have ever, ever done. I didn't want to do it when I got to the top...
(this year has taught me that I have trust issues with letting myself free fall backwards)
but the guy up top literally nudges me off the peak to a point that I can't climb back up...
And the only option left was down.
I almost passed out...
but, man, when I finally hit the ground, I felt like the strongest woman ever.

On a lighter note, I had been aching to go swimming for a long while now. Living where I am, it proves a bit difficult to always have drinking water, let alone to go swimming.
But, in MP, we hiked to a waterfall. The others literally had to drag me out. I was so satisfied.

****
6 weeks left in the fellowship --> the countdown begins. Holy jeebus.

****
To my poets:

I'm gonna miss this year's VONA!
Noooooooooooooo!!!
I am really missin you guys and our collective voice. I know y'all are still writing and the thought makes me really happy. I've been meaning to get some of the work I've done this year out to you guys, but my net access, as you can imagine, has been minimal.

However, I have gotten some articles published in random places. I actually just found out that one just got published in a newspaper called India Abroad. It's a gradual process, but it's a start.

Much love. Chase the things that inspire you and keep writing. I'm definitely thinking of you guys.

I want to unfold.
Let no place in me hold itself closed,
for where I am closed,
I am false.
I want to stay clear in your sight.

-- Rilke (from the Book of Hours)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have a birthday coming up, if i recall correctly. happy happy happy rupal! will miss u at vona also!