Tuesday, August 07, 2007

What today taught me

While you have a thing it can be taken from you... but when you give it, you have given it. No robber can take it from you. It is yours then for ever when you have given it. It will be yours always. That is to give. --James Joyce

"For the past five years, Dr. Stephen Post has been funding research projects that test how altruism, compassion, and giving affect people's lives and well-being. He has sponsored more than 50 studies by scientists from 54 major universities. In a wide range of disciplines – from public health to human development to neuroscience, sociology, and evolutionary biology – the studies have demonstrated that love and caring expressed in doing good for others lead people to have healthier, happier, and even longer lives. "

I had a terrific, terrific day today. I got a chance to do something really above and beyond for someone I love, which led to a mess of great people wanting to help, which led to a lot of people becoming happy by association when the pieces finally fell into place. The whole process made the entire day glow.

I want to try to be ridiculously unselfish. I want to be more like Hardee when I grow up.

No comments: