Friday, November 12, 2004

ketchup

sorry to have been MIA for so long.

So crazy....
I don't know where to begin.

First, Happy Freakin Diwali!! The indian new year. Much love to all y'all.

I'm in Mumbai, which is weird... it's the first time I've been here (besides my internship) without my grandfather. Every inch of this city carries a different memory of traveling with my grandparents.. I miss my family. Especially today.

BUSH WON?!?! Noooooo!!!! this isn't a political site... but come on! I'm not coming home for four years... until the world begins to make sense again. Good news.. Obama won, and that gives me hope. Bobby Jindal is also in office now; I haven't decided how I feel about that one just yet. He changed his name *and* his religion???

Speaking of religion...Happy Eid as well. I fasted for 3 days of the Ramadan to test my willpower and show solidarity (3 villages that I work with are Muslim (the other 2 are Hindu)) w/ my community. My NGO is actually going to Pakistan for the Unity conference, taking one of the other fellows (b/c it isn't directly related to my project, i'm not going). They're taking a train to Amraser and walking across the border for a 3 day conference. Powerful stuff.

Mumbai is such a strange parallel universe. They had an elephant standing outside a McDonalds to advertise a shopping mall (in the middle of traffic). I am so angry sometimes I don't know where to start.

My mom is the new President of our Samaj -->250+ family members... events, trips, the board etc. (For those of you who I haven't dragged to a family event, let me tell you coordinating them is no walk in the park). Somebody, anybody, everybody... congratulate her. Yay mom!!! I'm so excited for you!!!

Other than that, life is good. I'm writing a lot, working on a collective effort book. Fingers crossed on the quality of writing... :) I've never written a book proposal before but so tips are for sure appreciated.

It feels good to finally being doing something that feels right.

Gotta go. A big hug to everyone back home.
Oh, and happy belated to Ace and Sara2%! I couldn't get to a computer earlier. Happy BDay guys.

No comments: