Monday, February 14, 2005

As Vim would say,

Wha?!? Happy V day foolios. I had a flashback today to when V day's were the most fun (beyond the stereotypical relationship stuff):
*In grade school (with secret admirers and performated cardboard valentines in decorated brown paper bags.... y'all know what I am talking about.)
*College--> Case in point: Jen, Tea, E, Rito and well, most of the ppl on the 3rd and 4th floor would buy each other Weston-delivered flowers and candy (secretly) but everyone had the same idea. Skip to the end of the day: lots of laughing at unoriginality and enough chocolate to last for days.
_____

In other news, my tummy hurts. (I'm putting it mildly.) India has seriously tested me this past six months, both physically and mentally. Mentally, by making me question everything I am and everything I believe in... Physically, by handing me a different sickness every few weeks to make fully sure that I appreciate the moments that my body is happy with me. I don't usually give details b/c one, I don't want to worry anyone, and two, I reserve most complaints of health to the older crowds when pain-is-actually-pain and it's not just rups-bein-whiny. Ah well. I fo sho miss being taken care of when I fall ill. I question if that is apart of growing up: being able to take care of yourself even when you can't. I'll tell you though, there's very little else that can make a person feel more alone in the world than being sick without anyone to bring you a blanket or some juice.
I know, I know, 'rups, it's not like you are dead. quit your complaining.' I'm done. :)
____

One of the coolest things about this year is the people I've been meeting. The world is so much bigger than we give it credit for. Some of the characters: a Brazillian filmmaker, an Isreali historian, an Austrailian designer, American filmmakers, a deep sea archeologist from Turkey, fashion designers from London, an English artist (who is about to open some international galleries and wants me to build up my work to display in them... WHA?!?!?) international journalists, artists and entreprenuers. I find it funny that I came to India to have the time to focus in on what I want to "do with the rest of my life" and India decides to accost me with the infinite number of possibilities of anything and everything that can be done in the world. The coolest thing about it? *It's no longer a decision that frustrates me.* I'm getting there and enjoying the road to figuring it out. We shall see if this is a feeling that fights or flights.

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." -- Albert Schweitzer
______

Can someone answer a question for me? I was once told that the beauty of a culture is historically measured by its arts, music and literature. Why are these the areas that are (seemingly) appreciated the least as far as professions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Why are these the areas that are (seemingly) appreciated the least as far as professions?"

B/c in a capitalist society, professions that earn the least money or are the least stable are least appreciated. If you're not helping the market, then you're worthless!!! Or in biological terms, these professions accumulate the least amount of resources($$$/"bling") which lowers a person's chances for surviving and supporting the spread of one's genes.

Art and culture is taken for granted but always a source of contention.

Or in simpler terms, art and culture is subjective, hence, it sucks.

Miss ya writing partner and acting accomplice in crime,
Vince

Anonymous said...

it wasn't always the case the art was only to be pursued as long as you had a separate 'back-up plan' and whatnot, like it is today. in india for example, during the times of monarchies and kings courts, a king would have a whole slew of musicians that he kept in his palace, provided food and shelter for them and their families, as long as they sat around and worked on music all day. talk about funding the arts!

one of the reasons why indian classical music is struggling to stay as vibrant an artform as it used to be is precisely because of this. in order for someone to reach the truest potential of the art, they have to spend a lifetime just studying. in the economic systems we live in today, there's no room for someone to do that unless they decide to hide out in lower wacker and play their sitar for the rest of their lives.

like vince said, i think since our economic system is capitalist, there exists fewer reasonable avenues to make a decent living on the arts. without the mass public taking a larger interest in forms of art that aren't available within the limited playlist B96 keeps, or local governments taking a larger interest (like NOT shutting down fine arts programs in high schools, to start...), these avenues stay limited, and artists will struggle to find a decent living pursuing their passions. worthless.