Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Last official day of Orientation

Wha?!?!? You mean I've been here a MONTH?!?! My orientation is OVAH?!?!? What craziness is that?

I miss my brothers so much it hurts. I missed Rakshabhadan. Sorry guys.

Yesterday, I had a one on one mtg with the other Roopal (who is the method behind the madness of Indicorps)... great, great meeting. I can't put it into words, but this is so important to me that I am here. She made me reflect on my motivations to come ... and the initial passion that brought me here. (please excuse the cheesiness). Also, I'm learning on how to put what is happening into words. Rambling as always...
ANYWAY
1/2way thru the mtg, one of the staff guys runs to where we are on the lawn in a frenzy telling us that there is a 'Sumitra from Canada' on the phone for me. This causes some confusion b/c 1. we are both rup's and 2. we don't know people in Canada that would call us in India. We stop the meeting and race to the office to find out that it is none other than my mom, ** Punita from Chicago**. I was on the floor laughing. A great random happy surprise to hear from my mom for sho. Yay.

The last event of orientation, and the reason I hadn't written in a while , was this 3 day camp we organized in Mumbai. The other 9 fellows and I took 50 kids in some pretty tough (meaning unimaginable) situations to a nature resort and did our absolute best to give them the time of their lives. These kids face problems on a daily basis that I can't even picture. Kids of sex workers, slum kids, homeless kids, dock workers, one girl was 12 and took care of her household as well as her 3 younger siblings(!!) ... I can't even begin to understand ... anyway ....
we organized a 3 day camp for them to get away and just BE KIDS. Playing, singing, swimming, running, dancing, you name it. THERE WAS A POOL!! I thought I had sacrificed them for the year ... but this amazing pool was at the resort we found... with four waterfalls!!! Totally my element. I taught four, count them four, girls (who have NEVER been in a pool!!) how to swim laps freestyle and breaststroke. (in two hours!!) I was beaming at how fast they learned.

Really hit it off with the kids and the group of us congealed as a team. We had some pretty tough discussions after we got back... and I'm feeling better than ever about the support structure I've found here. It's a great feeling b/c I know this year is going to be hard as hell. I'm glad I'll have Rishi to lean on though. The boy is a crackhead... he's so unpredictable. We'll get along and drive each other crazy I'm sure.

So we all split starting today. My ride out is tomorrow morning. Orientation comes to a close and I'll be out in the field in about a week. The meantime is in Ahmedabad getting to know the NGO I am working with, their history/philosophy/goals etc. By this time next week I am heading to the desert.

[i was reading a book the other day on the area where I am going to live... and it was described as one of the most difficult climates to live in...... ummmmm..... yeah...... what have I done!?!?!?]

and a sidenote to all y'all: I love you guys!!! I can't express HOW MUCH your efforts to keep in touch mean to me. emails, calls, commenting on this mofo.... whatever... it totally makes my day. So thanks!!!
Yay you!

No comments: